An interview with Lee Jong Hyuk: A wise choice of taking the role as Lee Jong Rok in “A Gentleman's Dignity”

SBS TV's “A Gentleman's Dignity” has wrapped up in a big success, not only the drama, the big four male leads in the drama also became a hot topic. The 'Big Four' includes, Jang Dong Geun, Kim Soo Ryo, Kim Min Jung, and Lee Jong Hyuk. In particular, for Lee Jong Hyuk to be taken on to this role, he made an unbelievable transformation from his other roles an evil bad buy to a playful attractive hot icon in “A Gentleman's Dignity


“In the drama, Lee Jong Rok is a very interesting role, he is an epitome of an irresponsible and unfaithful husband will make a turn-around. The role requires me to speak louder to display a bright and playful personality, but if you are adding too much of those, it might become overacting and exaggerate Lee Jong Rok's character.” The actor added, “To be honest, I was not even positive about if I was making a right decision on accepting the role. Simply because this is my first time in participating in a romantic drama, at the same time, my role required me to invest more time and effort on hairstyles and fashion to make my interpretation more convincing.” “I was skeptical about being told that my role is going to be a fashion icon, but as time goes by, I think I got used to this transformation with a new style of myself.”


Even though Lee Jong Huk himself was not confident about himself being called a fashion icon, but his fellow casts from “A Gentleman's Dignity” all gave him a lot of compliments for this change. Jang Dong Geun had talked about Lee Jong Hyuk and said, “I think Lee Jong Hyuk does go well with those trendy outfits”, actress Kim Ha Neul also mentioned that, “From the first time I met Lee Jong Hyuk, I feel that he match well with the role as Jong Ruk”.


“When I tried on those outfits in the studio, I was totally uncomfortable, so I asked Kim Na Neul how did I look, and she gave me so much support by saying I look good in it. That is how I first gained some confidence.”


As the first time challenging a romantic drama, there are so many changes from head to toe on Lee Jong Hyuk that he has to adapt to, he tried to talk in a higher and lighter tone, and he made a natural approach to portray the simpleminded personality of Lee jong Hyuk, and he has accomplished to make the role one of the favorite by the audience. “I am very surprised that so many people like the role, Lee Jong Rok. Since then, the number of my fans has a prominent increase and which became a motivation for me to do even better.”


Accepting the offer for the role has marked a big success, and his decision also proven that the transformation has brought to him fame and the feeling of success, however, he is not satisfied with only this immediate success. At this moment, Lee Jong Hyuk is full of passion and longing for a new challenge.


“Choosing a role is not going to be easy; if I am going to take on a role with an extreme opposite characteristics as Lee Jong Rok, the audience might get confused.”


There are different criteria for an artist to select a role, there might be a risk for the audience to turn their backs on him if they are not able to digest an artists' new role. But again, an old saying says, 'No Pain No Gain', and Lee Jong Hyuk made it through with this big accomplishment. Nonetheless, whether he is the bad guy from “Slave Hunter” or the player in “A Gentleman's Dignity”, at the end, he is still a loving husband and father for his wife and the two sons.



No comments:

Post a Comment