Simon D opens up about his solo project




“Are people ever truly satisfied with that they have? For most, when they’ve achieved their dream of owning a home, they always desire a larger, more luxurious one, and for those who yearn to work to make a living always desire something more once they begin their careers. People always dream of a better future and work to achieve it, never satisfied with what they have in the present.”
Supreme Team‘s Simon D has been quite fortunate. He made his debut in July of 2009 and rose to fame just a few months later by featuring on a variety program. For a hip hop artist in Korea, the chances of rising to the top in such a short amount of time after debuting is as slim as winning the lottery. When others look at him now, they figure he must be successful enough to feel satisfied with what he has accomplished thus far.

So, we asked him if he was content.

People actually asked me that a lot when I suddenly got famous. It was a shocking surprise for me, so it should have been natural for me to be joyous and satisfied. But I felt guilty when I told people that yes, I was content.”

He said, “The excitement was temporary. My heart still felt empty. I felt like I hit a brick wall.”

He continued, “I felt like I needed time to completely devote myself to my music. That’s what I wanted.”

Simon D released a solo album last July. He rekindled his passion for music; the kind of fire he had before his debut and he put his heart and soul into producing this project.

I stopped doing variety programs and focused only on my music. When I walked into the recording booth, I thought, ‘this is it. This is my heaven’. I felt truly content when I was at the studio writing lyrics and recording songs. Making money was good, but I was glad I was finally doing what I really wanted. This album is truly meaning for me. It’s served as a turning point in my life.”

With no hesitation, he remarked that he was happy. And he honestly looked it. It was obvious that before, the sudden fame was a little intimidating and he had a heavy load to carry. But now, he no longer looked exhausted, and his face brightened immensely. It wasn’t easy for him to produce his own album, but he was free to make music, and that alone was enough to fulfill him.


I don’t care if this album is criticized or if people hate it. I’m satisfied that I got to show them what I’m about. I enjoyed putting the album together. I do hope I’m able to impress some of my listeners, hahaha.

Simon D is a true hip hop artist. He cares little about what people think. What’s most important to him is being able to sing and write music. This brings him peace and fulfillment.

Simon D expressed his own unique colors and it’s actually quite the hit with listeners.

I went mainstream after being an underground artist for a longtime. I didn’t mean for my music to ever become mainstream, but that’s what happened.”

Sometimes, situations can turn around depending on how much people are willing to change. For Simon D, the change was a positive one. He’s matured musically, and developed a larger fanbase.

Check out his new album, “SNL League Begins” here

Source &; Image: enews4 via Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment